15 August 2008

A day of mixed emotions.


I have a friend who is more like a big sister to me. This friend lost her mom this past Sunday. I had gotten information about the time of the funeral early this week and was really waffling on whether I should attend.


The funeral was scheduled for 3:00 this afternoon. As I'm sitting eating my lunch and watching the Olympics at noon, I can't get away from that I really should go to the funeral. My heart just kept saying "do it for Diane."


So I did. I got dressed and got in my car and drove 40 miles north. And when I got there, another friend was in charge of the funeral dinner. I pop my head in the kitchen and say "Anybody need any help?" This is followed by screams and hugs and of course, I get to work.


I guess Diane's grandson didn't take very long to tell her that he had seen me, because a few minutes later, she comes downstairs to find me. We hug and I ask her how she's doing. She says that she's doing okay, that her mom always wanted to go to heaven, but selfishly, she had wanted to keep her here on Earth for a bit longer. I haven't lost a parent, so I don't really understand, but I tell her that I've been praying for her. She smiles, her eyes are sad. She tells me that she appreciates that.


This funeral service was amazing. If ever there were a celebration of a lady's life, this was it. The music was incredible, and the pastor went on and on about how confident that he was that Lee was with her Lord and that all she ever wanted was for her family to know Him too. And not just her family, but everyone around her. What an amazing example of God's love in action she was.


As hard as it is for Diane and her family left behind, what a great comfort to know that they will see their loved one again.


So whether I am blessed to live to a ripe old age, or God has other plans for me, I only hope that my funeral is such an occasion.

No comments: