09 August 2008

And so after 2+ years


I finally convince J that we need to go to our local library. We have lived in this city for over two years and today was the first time that we were in the library. And according to Yahoo maps, it's only three miles away from our home (isn't everything?).


So this morning, we all get in the car and head to the library. I had made a list of books I wanted to read, and what did I do but leave the list behind. Oh well. I was able to find something to read, by an author that I hadn't heard of, and so far it's really good.


I don't know that C had ever been to a public library in all of his six years on this planet. When asking him this morning if he wanted to go, his response was "no." The only thing that he knows about the library is that at school you have to keep quiet, and since he hates that, I don't think that he's crazy about the library in general.


He changed his tune once we got inside. He wanted to sit in the "train" which is a spot for reading and I told him so. So he wanted to grab the first book off the shelf and go sit. I convinced him to take a look at some books with me; he chose two and then went to do some puzzles.


M was harder to convince. That boy hasn't read anything in the past 2 years except Harry Potter, over and over and over again. Not that there's anything wrong with HP, in fact my Mom is very into the series. It's just that M likes to read so well, that I'd like him to expand his readings. So he wanders in the children's fiction section looking very lost for about five minutes. I gently suggested to him that all he needs to do is look at the spines of the books, find a title that interests him and pick up the book to read the summary. No other way to discover if you want to read something. He took my suggestion and grabbed a book. Something about magicians or whatnot. I don't remember. Doesn't matter; the point is that it's not HP.


For not wanting to try something new, he's about a third of the way through it since noon.


I had a harder time. I felt as though I was being rushed, since I was being followed by two boys who had already choosen books and a husband who had just driven us there, apparently.


I look forward to the day when they are in school, and after work I can go to the library myself and wander at my leisure.

No comments: