12 May 2009

Look on the bright side!

Caleb was so excited to give me a plant for Mother’s Day that he had taken care of at school. For days, he hinted that I was “just going to love” my Mother’s Day gift. So imagine my shock on Friday when he emerges from the bus and I see that he is sobbing as he’s coming down the sidewalk carrying the plant in a plastic cup. I don’t even get a chance to ask him what happened; he blurts out “Now I’m afraid that you won’t like it!”

In an effort to make it perfect for me, he was patting the soil down and somehow the one flowering bud snapped off and was lying in the cup. Of course there’s nothing that we can do about that, but I assured him that I did still love the plant and that maybe this other teeny, tiny flowering bud would make an effort; so we’d plant it anyway, flowering blooms or not.

So that’s what we did. Took this tiny, now just green looking flower and dug a hole for it in the window box. We watered it just as much as we would any other plant, and Caleb was all smiles again by the time we finished.

Now, we’ll just wait and see what happens.

That’s what moms do, don’t they? They do their best to make good out of a not-so-good situation. Dry the tears and look on the bright side; it can’t be as bad as all that!

I really hope, for Caleb's sake, that the plant stays alive. He has a pachyderm's memory, so that's best. But if it doesn't; that's okay too. We'll remedy it somehow. It's the thought that counts!

2 comments:

amanda said...

first: are your dishes done? lol. mine aren't either. or mine aren't if yours are. thanks for the comment.

second: i hope the plant lives as well. it must've broke your heart seeing him crying about it. it made me sad for him reading it!

Esther said...

Can you switch it while he's sleeping with the same kind of plant? I know it seems crafty, but it's what I'd do... :-) You're right, though, that's what mommies do. We're the bandaid givers!