15 October 2009

all the pieces

Remember this post? Well, here's the update.

I made an appointment with my primary doctor and he ordered some xrays. And he ordered some physical therapy. I wasn't going to go, but they called me, so I didn't have a reason not to make an appointment right there on the spot, you know?

So, I went to my first appointment on September 11th, and it was BRUTAL. Man alive. I could barely walk when I got myself home.

Current findings are that my right hip muscles are weak, DUH, I have degeration of the lowest vertebrae of my spine and there is slippage of that disc. The slippage of the disc is what was (and has been) causing my sciatic pain.

Good times.

So this morning, I am headed to another clinic to see the neurologist who works closely with my physical therapist. She is going to get an accurate measurement on my leg discrepancy among other things.

I have a brand new pair of Nike shoes that, when I take the left one off, I am pretty balanced. That spells certain doom for my hope of getting away with not needing a lift of some kind.

*Deep breaths, deep breaths*

I'll try and remember to keep you updated as things progress.

The good news is that unless the neuro orders more therapy, I am done. I went to physical therapy twice a week from the 11th of September til last Friday. I am still doing my exercises that I have been given, but I am on the downside of about 36 hours of sciatic pain from not stopping and listening to my body, and I am trying to manage the pain without the medication. So for now, specific strengthening exercises are on the back burner.

When I actually do that, listen to my body and rest when needed, it works. Surprise, surprise. Needless to say, but you know me.....my physical therapist just grinned when I told him that if I did what I was told, I was in no pain. Huh.

I never said I wasn't stubborn.

No comments: