25 June 2009

Three's a crowd

First of all, I give props to all women who have more than two offspring. And that goes double if they are each less than 3 years apart.


I seriously don't know how you do it. I'd have to be heavily medicated to manage something like that full time. Or drunk. No wonder my sister acts like a loon half the time; she had 3 babies in four years.


We've had a lot of fun with Sean here. And I think at this point that it's an experience that we will definitely most likely probably maybe repeat next summer. Thank goodness summer comes only once a year. And by the way, in case you didn't know; the same goes for Christmas too. Only once. That's all.


Anywho.


Caleb was born the day after Sean's first birthday. My mom was planning on being at the hospital for Caleb's birth, but first she had to stay home to bake Sean a cake. Whatever. That was fine. Around noon the next day, I hear a familiar voice say "I'm looking for my daughter", and I immediately turn to Jon and say, "That's Mom, go get her!"


For the record, Caleb isn't actually born until I get a kickass epidural and they vaccuum extract him by his ginormous head at 6:56pm. (For a little guy of 5 pounds 10 ounces, he had a HUGE head! Thanks, son!)


So she didn't miss a thing. She actually was the one who cut the cord.


I'm getting so off track here.



Caleb and Sean are so close in age that they have always played well together. That is, once they got past that little problem of "who are you and why are you here?" (I'll tell ya that one another day.) And it has always helped that they don't get much chance to play together due to the 450+ miles that they live apart.


But I have to tell ya, the "three's a crowd" thing even applies when it's me and the boys headed to the store. I take two boys to the store all the time, but the older one is twelve, not eight. Seven year olds get much more easily distracted by 8-year olds than their pesky, bossy older brother. Much. more. easily.


So much so that I told Jon that the first thing I plan to do on Saturday when he is home is to go to the store alone. And I have to tell ya, I haven't been this excited for an outing alone in ages. Say since the first day of school last September.


Two can play together till the cows come home and rarely fight. (When will the cows come home? Where have they been?) But I even took steps to ban the 7-year old neighbor boy from the yard this week. K and Caleb don't get along the best anyway and if you were to add Sean to the mix, it could get ugly.


I almost felt bad for K yesterday when he was standing at the edge of his yard watching the boys in the sprinkler. Almost. But it's just an invitation for trouble. And as I told Caleb, Sean as a finite number of days to play and K will still be here when we get home. He seemed okay with that.




No sense inviting trouble.

1 comment:

Esther said...

This post made me smile. I am a crazy person most of the time. At least we have a girl--I can't imagine three boys arguing. At least you get to take Sean home, right? ;-)