09 March 2010

celery

Caleb was able to participate in the fourth- sixth grade Sunday school class this week; his teacher was away celebrating a family wedding.

Having spoken with the teacher of the older class prior to class beginning that morning and learning what she was planning for the students, I asked Caleb that evening what he did in Sunday school that day.

"We acted out Noah's Ark" he mumbled, unable to take his eyes off a tv rerun of Home Improvement.

I was instantly curious. "What part did you play?"

"I was the raven", he stated matter-of-factly.

After he endured me asking what it is in fact that the raven does in the story, he pryed his eyes from an instantly captivating commercial to tell me that the raven came back to the ark because it couldn't find dry land.

"But the dove leaves the ark and comes back with celery, I think."

"WHAT?!" I couldn't help myself, honest.

"Yeah mom. The dove leaves the ark and finds dry land and comes back with celery."

No amount of persuasion from me convinced that child that it was an olive branch rather than celery. He was insistent.

His regular teacher will be so proud.

1 comment:

Esther said...

WHAT? IT WASN'T CELERY? Darn it.