08 July 2011

A Perfect Opportunity

I'll be honest, it started as "Oh, I'll just walk while we're on vacation and figure out my new routine when we get home."

I fully intended that; really, I did. But it's been 30 days.

Then I remembered how difficult it is to rise early enough to beat the all-too-eager nine year old out of bed. And the minute his eyes open, he's up. And he's talking. And asking questions. It's non-stop, let me tell ya.

I miss my routine of seeing the boys off to school and getting in my workout.

It's also no secret that I am an emotional eater. And I have had an increasingly difficult time managing that lately. I only gained a pound while we were on vacation, but I've fought that pound ever since; back and forth, back and forth.

I'm frustrated. Clearly, I needed to make a change and do it fast. Weight loss relapse is a slippery slope and in the past, I haven't really even paid attention to when it began coming at me. And I have no intention of getting back to 191 again, so I need to focus on what was working and quit worrying about things that clearly don't work.

So I decided that even though I'd hate every second, and trust me, I did, I needed to hit the treadmill this afternoon instead of opening a bag of chips and eating it to the bottom.
(I'm always telling the boys that even adults don't get to do what they want all the time, so it was time to take my own advice here.) And at the end of 3.12 miles, I didn't feel the need to eat chips, or even anything else, surprisingly.

My diet hasn't been the best the last 30 days either. Not horrible, but not anywhere near as good as it needs to be. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and when the going gets tough, I just need to dig deeper and get this done. I know that.

Truthfully, I've had a hard time deciding what my weight goal should be. I can't decide if a number (130) is what I'm shooting for or if a clothing size is better; and that's not really helping me get to where I wanna be either. But trust me, I'll figure it out.

I'm back in the saddle because this is where I need to be. And it feels good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for getting back on the saddle - sometimes that's all it takes.

Make one right decision, and if you string enough of those along, you'll get to where you want to be.

My a-hole doctor wants me to be 125 - I am 157 now - I can't help it that I'm short!

Hang in there and have a great weekend. And truly, while I sometimes don't want to exercise, I have never regretted it when I am done! :D