Prep Time 20 Minutes
Cook Time 2 Hours
•¼ cups Vegetable Oil
•1-½ pound Onions, Coarsely Chopped
•1-½ pound Beef Stew Meat
•6 ounces, weight Can Tomato Paste
•1-½ teaspoon Salt
•1 Tablespoon Paprika
•1-¼ cup Water
•12 ounces, weight Package Noodles
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2) Heat a 2-3 quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil and onions, cook for about 5 minutes. Add stew meat and cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
3) Add salt, paprika, and tomato paste, mix until well blended. Add water and mix well.
4) Cover the pot and allow to cook in the oven for 2 ½ hours. Stir once during cooking, add additional water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
5) Prepare noodles according to package directions. Serve goulash over hot noodles.
***Here are some notes of mine...... I dredged the meat in flour mixed with salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked sweet paprika before browning. Then I added a tablespoon or so of worchestershire sauce to the pot. And I also used beef stock rather than water.
Next time, I will cook it for an aditional half hour or so...the meat was tender, just could have been a bit more tender. And I also added a half cup of sour cream to the pot once the noodles were cooking, just to cut some of the strong tomato flavor.
And this is one of those recipes that is even better the next day, or the day after that. So yummy! Enjoy!!***