14 February 2011

On the Menu Monday

Good Monday morning, friends! How was your weekend? Mine went quickly; working all day on Saturday and then the usual Sunday activities helps that. Jon and I did get in our Valentine's date on Sunday afternoon while the boys were occupied with a youth sledding event. It was so nice to have a meal and not have to hear someone whine about not getting to sit by me. :-)

This week is extra busy too it seems as I'm working Monday, having coffee with a friend and working the evening shift on Tuesday and working nine hours on Wednesday. Then Thursday, I have a doctor's appointment and we're headed to Winneconne in the evening for a band event. And I'm working the weekend too. Whew.

And you know what comes in handy on weeks like this? My crockpot, of course. And I'm lucky enough to own a copy of Fix It And Forget It Lightly for the slow cooker. It's a collection of healthy recipes for the slowcooker and it's a great resource. And today, I thought I'd share with you one of my favorites from the book. With my own adaptations, of course.



Veggie Goulash
1 lb. extra lean ground beef, browned and drained
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (recipe called for kidney beans)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large green pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped (E would leave this out! HA!)
1 15oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 T. sugar
1 T. worchestershire sauce
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper

Combine all ingredients in crock and cook on low 4-6 hours. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Easy, peasy!

2 comments:

CharityVL said...

Sorry about the previous comment error - it's Monday! Anyway, I was trying to say that I love crockpot recipes and I will have to try this one - with the celery left in, of course! :)

Esther said...

LOL! Funny, though, if the celery is cooked, I don't mind it. But I do make sure it's chopped into itty bitty smidgen pieces. ;-) Can't wait to see you tomorrow!